Classes have come back around, and now that we’re back into the swing of things, we can enjoy some more relaxing events for the month! Last month was all about being physically and mentally healthy. Let us treat you to snacks at our auction and candy for Valentine’s! Stay on the lookout for trivia games and cool prizes to win. Watch out for our canned food drives, as well, so that you can get service hours and donate for a greater cause. Good luck on this semester and live it up like it’s your last one.
- Our new shuttle is up and running for the semester! Come by to get a shuttle schedule if you need one.
- Have you ever found it hard to talk to your roommate about issues in your apartment? Remember, the CA for your zone is trained and fully equipped to help you mediate these situations. Make sure you contact them whenever you need help.
- We’re hiring for new CAs right now! Access the application either online at communityassistant.com or come in and do it in the business center.
- We’re leasing fast, so make sure that you’re telling your friends to complete their applications so they can live with you next year.
Reminders & Updates
- Remember to use energy-efficient bulbs if you replace them yourself. Otherwise, call us and we can change it out for you.
- All of the amenities are for 21 Oaks residents and up to two guests at a time. Please be respectful of our machines and computers so that everyone can get an equal amount of usage.
- Reminder: All pets must be registered in the office prior to move-in!
- We are not responsible for any personal belongings lost or broken on the property. Please remember to refer to your lease for safety tips when parking your car and leaving belongings in it.
- If you received a bunch of candles for the holidays as gifts, make sure you purchase a candle warmer as open flames are not allowed!
- Keep in mind that if you have an emergency work order, you MUST call it in instead of submitting online. Water intrusions, power outages, and HVAC systems are examples of emergencies.
- If you ever find anything left on a shuttle or out in the parking lot, please turn it in to the lost and found in the front office.
Focus on Career Success
Whether you are a sophomore looking at internships or a senior getting ready for that first job after graduation, the spring semester brings added pressure as you seek to set yourself apart and set yourself up for success.
Here are five tips to keep you moving forward on a career success track:
Tip #1: The key to getting hired is selling yourself better than the other candidates. What’s your pitch? Practice concise ways to share your value and what you are looking for.
Tip #2: Your resume’s only job is to get your foot in the door! Have it critiqued at the career center.
Tip #3: Google yourself: What does your online presence tell future employers? Are you focusing on your online brand? Your potential employer is! Work on shaping your presence online and off.
Tip #4: Come up with EVERY reason an employer might not hire you — and an answer for each objection. For example, “What I lack in relevant experience, I make up for with my drive and proven ability to learn new things quickly.”
Tip #5: Learn from the best! Find people doing what you want to do and doing it well — and ask them for guidance. It’ll be well worth your time and perhaps a few cups of coffee to do informational interviews with others on their success stories.
These tips are obviously just the tip of the iceberg. Watch out for career success experiences here at your community. Whether you want feedback on your pitch or need someone to critique your resume, let us know how we can help you and connect you with resources to assist in your success!
Speaking of career success, did you know that as a resident of a Campus Advantage property you have FREE access to our exclusive Career Success Portal? Browse millions of jobs, including over 500,000 unique job postings, build your resume, practice your interviewing skills, and much more. To access the Career Success Portal, visit your resident portal and look for the sign-up link!
Community Events Calendar
Valentine’s Trivia Dinner — February 1–13 @ 7 p.m. — A trivia question will be posted on social media each day. Every resident who answers correctly will have their name entered into a raffle. On February 13, two names will be drawn to win a gift card for dinner for two.
Football Can Drive — February 1–4 — Donate canned foods to the box in the office of the team you favor to win the Super Bowl. All collected cans will be donated to Harvest Hope.
Secret Admirer — February 13 @ noon — Bring a dollar to the front office and receive a heart and a piece of chocolate to anonymously send to your favorite person with a personal message. All proceeds will go to Relay For Life.
Paint Night — January 18 @ 3 p.m. — Come by and make your own painting with all the supplies provided!
Snack Food Auction — February 21 @ 6:30 p.m. — We’ll be auctioning different types of snacks as February is National Snack Food Month.
Soul Food Sunday — February 25 @ 2 p.m. — Tag three friends from other properties on our page and get a plate of soul food as our treat for supporting Black History Month.